Summer is the season of fresh vegetables and fresh spices, which is a great time to try tex-mex with chicken – a juicy and very fragrant recipe. If you have not heard of this dish before, below you will find out where its name comes from, as well as the steps for its preparation.
The cuisine between Texas and Mexico
Tex-Mex cuisine originated around the Texans living in the area around the Texas-Mexico railroad. Their table is a mix of Mexican and American cuisine. They prepared the food so deliciously that it became popular only in Canada. Their menu is characterized by the generous use of yellow cheese, meat (mainly pork, chicken and beef), beans, peppers and spices. Often, dishes made from these spices are wrapped in tortillas made from flour. In addition, Tex-Mex cuisine brings flavors from other spicy cuisines, such as the use of cumin introduced by Spanish immigrants to Texas from the Canary Islands.
Today we will make a tex-mex, but keto, which will not interfere with the wonderful and rich taste of the dish. Let’s see what we need for the recipe:
Necessary products for 4 servings of tex-mex:
- 500 g chicken breast
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 hot pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 green onion stalks
- 6-7 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley for decoration
- 100 g grated cheddar
Execution of the recipe for keto tex-mex:
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat (in a wok will be most convenient for you) and put some olive oil and sliced chicken breast. Fry them for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- In another pan, chop the peppers, green onions and two of the tomatoes. Grate the third. Cook until the peppers soften and add the remaining spices. Add the cooked chicken and stir for another minute.
- When serving, sprinkle each portion of Tex-Mex with grated cheddar and garnish with parsley sprigs.
Keto avocado mousse
We have talked many times about the amazing properties of avocado, especially when it comes to losing weight.
Let’s see what we will need to make an avocado mousse:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 100 g soft, low-fat cream cheese
- A pinch of hot pepper
- If desired, you can add ground cedar nuts or walnuts.
Beat all the ingredients in a blender and refrigerate for about an hour. It is great for consumption with cloudy bread and a small portion of keto tex-mex chicken.