Now that the ketogenic diet (or keto diet for short) has gained popularity, you may have the courage to try it. Diet planning is key to sticking to this high-fat diet, which includes a moderate amount of protein and low in carbohydrates.
In the keto diet you should strive to get 5 to 10% of total calories from carbohydrates, 20-25% protein and 70-80% fat. Because the body stores fat for energy instead of preferred carbohydrates, eliminating carbohydrates and adding fat is the key to making this diet work. Learn the basics of the ketone diet.
If you start the keto regime abruptly, limiting all the products you have consumed so far, and fail to plan your meals every day, then you can very easily be tempted to eat everything that is in your field of vision, between meals, due to severe hunger, which you can experience. The result is that you will get out of ketosis – a condition in which your body burns fat instead of carbohydrates to get energy. This is where the planning of every meal should come. You will successfully deal with the keto diet after getting acquainted with all the appropriate and inappropriate foods.
Proper adherence to the keto regime
Do not think that you can eat bacon and butter all day, because you will find yourself with some nutrient deficiencies and digestive problems. Although you should pay attention to carbohydrates, do not exclude fiber. They are also carbohydrates, but are not absorbed by the body, so they will not affect your blood sugar or ketosis. Women should get 25 grams of fiber a day, and men 38 grams according to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Including enough starchy vegetables and low-sugar fruits in your diet will help you get the fiber you need for the day.
Prepare roasted vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus and season with olive oil or avocado oil. Eat roasted vegetables with scrambled eggs or in combination with tender meat. Oils with the highest content of omega-3 and omega-9 fatty acids are the healthiest choice for flavoring and cooking. These are olive oil, rapeseed oil, avocado oil, linseed oil, hazelnut, sunflower oil and saffron, which are labeled “high oleic”.
If you decide to eat nuts, note that they, like nut oils, contain carbohydrates, so do not overdo it. However, they are a good source of fiber.
One week meal plan-keto diet
- Breakfast: scrambled eggs with cheese, avocado butter and tomato and parsley salad (3 grams of carbohydrates);
- Lunch: tuna salad wrapped in cabbage leaves (23 grams of carbohydrates);
- Dinner: chicken with zucchini, tequila and lime (13 grams of carbohydrates);
- Snack: guacamole (prepared with 1/2 avocado) with 1 cup chopped radishes (10 grams of carbohydrates).
Total carbohydrates for the day: 49 grams
- Breakfast: yogurt with spicy chickpeas and feta cheese (17 grams of carbohydrates);
- Lunch: cauliflower cakes with cheddar, chia and sesame (8 grams of carbohydrates);
- Dinner: grilled chicken legs with curry sauce and spinach (8 grams of carbohydrates);
- Snack: 30 grams of beef pastrami and grits with cheese (1 gram of carbohydrates).
Total carbohydrates for the day: 34 grams
- Breakfast: keto muffins with blueberries (8 grams of carbohydrates);
- Lunch: keto enchiladas with chicken and zucchini (14 grams of carbohydrates);
- Dinner: cauliflower rice with chili and ginger (18 grams of carbohydrates);
- Snack: 140 grams of whole cottage cheese (5 grams of carbohydrates).
Total carbohydrates for the day: 45 grams
- Breakfast: tomato sauce with tofu and avocado (20 grams of carbohydrates);
- Lunch: spicy tomato soup with chicken and avocado (14 grams of carbohydrates);
- Dinner: tacos of gouda with avocado and turkey (7 grams of carbohydrates);
- Snack: 30 grams of walnuts and 1 cup of raspberries (8 grams of carbohydrates).
Total carbohydrates for the day: 49 grams of carbohydrates
- Breakfast: chocolate smoothie with collagen and cherries (14 grams of carbohydrates);
- Lunch: avocado salad with cherry tomatoes and onions + shredded cheese and grilled chicken steak (20 grams of carbohydrates);
- Dinner: zucchini and sausage salad (11 grams of carbohydrates);
- Snack: 1 teaspoon roasted zucchini with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper (3 grams of carbohydrates).
Total carbohydrates for the day: 48 grams of carbohydrates
- Breakfast: lettuce with avocado and eggs (20 grams of carbohydrates);
- Lunch: Mexican salad with roasted pork (5 grams of carbohydrates);
- Dinner: Caprese salad with grilled eggplant (6 grams of carbohydrates);
- Snack: 8 slices of celery with 2 tablespoons of cream cheese (7 grams of carbohydrates).
Total carbohydrates for the day: 38 grams of carbohydrates
- Breakfast: frittata with bacon and sun-dried tomatoes (3 grams of carbohydrates);
- Lunch: spicy shrimp fajitas (17 grams of carbohydrates)
- Dinner: Roasted broccoli with spicy sauce and almonds + grilled chicken leg (11 grams of carbohydrates);
- Snack: Frozen raspberry muffins with coconut (8 grams of carbohydrates);
Total carbohydrates: 39 grams of carbohydrates
It is important to know!
- Give yourself time to adjust to the keto regime. If you do not feel well, soon after you start the diet, do not worry, this is a normal reaction of the body. It usually passes after a few days.
- For the keto diet to work, it must be strictly followed. Once your body falls into ketosis, it must remain so that it works effectively to lose weight and achieve your goal.
- Prepare your food in advance for work or on the road so that you are always prepared.
- The keto diet mainly consumes foods high in fat and animal protein, which can make your menu more expensive.