Mish mash is a traditional Bulgarian dish that can be prepared in many different ways. For this reason, there is no classic recipe for mouse mash.
Recipe for mouse mash in keto style
Today we decided to prepare a keto version of mouse mash, which will be our quick option when we do not have much free time for cooking.
For this purpose we used delicious vegetables picked fresh from the village garden. Homemade products always give the dish a richer and more pleasant taste, which takes us back to childhood.
Let’s find out what we need and how to prepare this quick and easy recipe for mouse mash.
Necessary products for 2 servings:
- 2-3 peppers (fresh or roasted)
- 1-2 tomatoes
- 100 g of cheese
- 4 eggs
- 30 g of ghee butter
Spices on request and to taste:
- Fresh parsley, chopped
Method of preparation:
- Cut fresh or roasted peppers into large pieces. Stew them in a pan with hot ghee until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, pre-peeled and diced. Continue cooking, stirring often.
- Add the shredded cheese, stir with a wooden spoon and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Season with spices to taste.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and beat them, then pour into the pan.
- Cook the mouse curling iron until ready, stirring so that it does not burn.
- Before removing from the heat, sprinkle with a little fresh parsley if desired.
How to make a delicious mouse mash?
- Eggs are a key ingredient in the mouse mash recipe. Use as much as you want to make the desired portions.
- Add shredded cheese to the recipe to make a dish that contains more protein. Some people also add bacon and cheese, while others serve mouse mash with yogurt.
- We recommend that you use fresh and seasonal vegetables, which you can pick from the garden in the village or buy from a nearby vegetable store. Use fresh or roasted peppers, tomatoes, carrots, green onions, even eggplant or okra.
- A very important part of preparing the dish is to peel the tomatoes with a peeler or knife and cut them into small pieces. In this way, the tomato peel will not spoil the texture of the finished dish.
- Before removing the dish from the pan, add fresh parsley, finely chopped.
- Season the mouse mash with spices to your liking. We suggest you season with some of these: savory, dried basil, fresh parsley, colored salt, paprika, black pepper or others.
- Mish mash is delicious served both hot and cold.
- You can cook it in a pan or in the oven.
Serve keto mouse mash with:
- Cloud bread – high protein, low carb and gluten free breads – ideal for mouse mash
- Keto bread with almond flour – toast a few slices and serve with the dish
- Keto bread with pickles – a perfect addition to keto mouse mash
- Keto salads – choose from 7 options the most suitable for mouse mash and serve for lunch or dinner
Why are peppers useful?
Peppers are low-calorie vegetables with colorful colors – yellow, green, red, orange.
They are a rich source of useful nutrients. They contain vitamins A, B6 (pyridoxine), C, E, K1 and the minerals potassium, folate, magnesium, phosphorus and others.
Due to the content of carotenoids (zaexanthin, lutein) in their composition, they are especially useful for improving vision.
Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that fights cell damage, strengthens the immune system’s response to microbes and has an anti-inflammatory effect. Red peppers are rich in the vitamin, although roasting and frying reduce its content by up to 25%.
If you have problems with the decomposition of the peel of the peppers, peel them after roasting. This will improve the absorption of vegetables and prevent digestive discomfort.