We serve you a delicious and impressive dish – terrine with chicken and herbs, suitable not only for the keto diet, but also for gatherings with family and friends.
The recipe requires more time to complete, but the preparation is simple and relatively quick.
You can cut it into thin slices and serve it on a plate with cheese or in thicker pieces as a main dish with garnish.
Here’s how to make it.
Recipe for terrine with chicken and herbs
Cooking time: 30 minutes (+ about 12 hours for cooling)
Carbohydrates per serving: 2 g
- 550 g chicken breast
- 1 stalk of leek
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon sage (fresh or dried, optional)
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 egg
- 3 mushrooms mushrooms
- 50 g fresh spinach
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 12 slices of prosciutto
Execution of the recipe:
- Cut the chicken breasts into small pieces and blend them to the consistency of minced meat.
- Cut leeks into rounds and saute it in ghee, adding garlic and herbs – thyme, sage. Cook until the leeks are soft, transfer to a separate plate and set aside to cool.
- In the same pan, cut the mushrooms into strips and cook until the liquid evaporates and softens well. Also set them aside.
- Finally, saute the spinach.
- Add the leeks to the chicken, beat the egg and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200 ° C. Use a baking tray, put baking foil in it, leaving some of the edges hanging on the side.
- Arrange the slices of prosciutto on the edge so that you form a bottom, and let some of them hang out of the dish.
- Put half of the chicken mixture on the bottom and press well with a spoon. Scatter the mushrooms on top.
- Followed by spinach and the rest of the chicken. Press well again.
- Wrap with the ends of the prosciutto on top and finally fold the foil, making sure to cover the terrine well on top and on the sides.
- Bake for about 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- When ready, remove the terrine from the pan, place it in a shallow pan and press on top with a weight to drain excess juices. Pour them or use them for a salad dressing.
- Then leave it in the pan, placing a weight on top of it, and put it in the refrigerator to cool overnight.
- The next day, remove the terrine, carefully remove the foil. A jelly will have formed around it, which you can remove with kitchen paper.
Cut the terrine into slices, sprinkle with a little extra virgin olive oil and enjoy it in combination with keto grilled vegetables.
Enrich the layers of terrine with:
- Brussels sprouts
- Cheese of your choice
What does terrine mean and where does it come from?
The origin of the recipe is undoubtedly French. It is traditionally prepared in a deep, rectangular dish, usually ceramic, glass or cast iron, with a tight-fitting lid.
In the classic preparation of the dish is often made in the form of the animal whose meat is used in the recipe.
The beauty of making terrine is the ability of the dish to be from a simple, simple recipe with meat to haute cuisine with game, goose liver and truffles. The limit is only in the imagination of the chef.
Many people confuse pate with terrine, but pate can be part of the terrine as one of the layers, adding a nice, smooth texture that contrasts with the coarser meats in the dish.
The English derivative of the word is tureen – still used today as the name of a cooking pot.