Make keto sushi at home with cauliflower rice and sashimi to satisfy your taste buds with something irresistibly delicious. Today we present you two recipes, very close to the original sushi.
The difference is that we use low-carb ingredients to make our sushi completely suitable for the keto regime. Let’s not waste any more time, let’s roll up our sleeves. We forgot to say! They cook quickly and are eaten even faster.
Recipe for keto sushi with cauliflower rice
You do not need to exclude sushi from your menu, as you can prepare keto sushi with low carbohydrate content. In this recipe, we replace rice with cauliflower so that we can enjoy the delicacy even during the keto diet.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Preparation: 10 g net carbohydrates, 13 g fat, 14 g protein and 231 calories
Necessary products for cauliflower rice:
- 650 g cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
For the filling:
- 4 nori leaves
- 140 g raw salmon fillet
- 85 g cucumber
- 1 avocado (200 g)
- 60 ml homemade keto mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Keto fish sauce
- Wasabi (optional and very small quantities)
Method of preparation:
- Cauliflower rice
- Using a grater, grate or chop the cauliflower into rice-sized pieces with a chopper.
- Then stew the cauliflower rice in a steamer or microwave for 2-3 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Drain excess liquid with cheesecloth or a clean kitchen towel.
- Pour into a bowl, season with apple cider vinegar and salt, stir.
2. Preparation of filling products
- Cut the salmon fillet and avocado into long thin strips, the cucumber too, removing the seeds.
3. Roll up the keto sushi rolls
- Start by placing nori leaves with the shiny side down on a bamboo mat (included in most sushi kits).
- Spread the cauliflower rice on a nori leaf in an even layer 1 cm thick so that it covers ¾ from the leaves. *
- Leave a little space at the end so you can close the sushi afterwards.
- Add a slice of thinly sliced salmon, a slice of cucumber and avocado on one side of nori leaves.
- Add a little homemade keto mayonnaise and sesame seeds if using.
- Then carefully grasp the bamboo mat with both hands at the end where you placed the filling. Start rolling by pressing to get a tight roll.
- Do not wrap the bamboo mat under the filling, but pull it forward.
- Smear a little water on the end of the nori leaves so that it closes more easily and sticks.
- Serve the delicious and fragrant keto sushi rolls with fish sauce and a little wasabi if desired.
You can add 55 grams of cream cheese to the cauliflower rice for extra flavor and stickiness.
Keto sushi fillings
The only limitation is our imagination when it comes to the filling in the keto sushi recipe.
Here are some suggestions for alternative fillings:
- Fish: shrimp, crab, tuna, white fish, mackerel, herring
- Vegetables: zucchini, lettuce, hot or sweet peppers, coriander
- Eggs: eggs, egg omelette
Is it safe to eat raw fish?
If you buy fish from a fish market, ask for salmon for sushi. To completely eliminate the risk of parasites, fresh salmon should be frozen – especially wild.
One day is enough if the fish has been pre-cut. Otherwise, freeze for 2-3 days, if the fillet is whole.
Keto sushi – sashimi rolls
Teleport your taste buds to Japan in just 15 minutes with this delicious, low-carb recipe between keto sushi and sashimi. This combination is perfect, just the way it is.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Nutritional composition in 1 serving: 5 g of net carbohydrates, 28 g of fat, 25 g of protein and 372 calories.
- 200 g raw salmon fillet or tuna
- 5 nori leaves
- 60 ml fish sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp roasted sesame seeds
- 1 lime
Method of preparation:
- Prepare the fish
- Cut the salmon or tuna fillet into five long and thick pieces.
2. Roll up keto sushi – sashimi rolls
- Moisten the nori leaves with water. Place them on a work surface and put a piece of fish in each of them.
- Roll into rolls and cut crosswise into small round pieces.
3. Prepare the sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the fish sauce, olive oil and roasted sesame seeds.
- Serve keto sushi – sashimi with fish sauce and lime slices.
Choose hard, thick and fresh fish fillets without bones and skin. Salmon, tuna and sea bass are suitable. Fever, too, although it does not have a very pronounced taste.