When we are on a ketogenic diet, we often use zucchini, eggplant or peppers as “containers” in which to combine our favorite products. The recipe for keto stuffed eggplant is very flexible because you can choose the filling to your liking.
Or try our offer for keto stuffed eggplant with mushrooms, tomatoes and mozzarella?
You will not regret – in the following lines we share step by step the implementation of the recipe.
Recipe for keto stuffed eggplant with mushrooms, tomatoes and mozzarella
Preparation time: 60 minutes
Nutritional value in one serving: 12 g carbohydrates, 144 calories, 6 g protein, 5 g fiber, 9 g fat
- 2 medium aubergines
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions
- 8 mushroom mushrooms (about 200 g)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp parsley
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 100 g grated mozzarella
- A handful of fresh basil leaves
- Black pepper to taste
- Chili pepper for serving
Execution of the recipe:
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Cut the aubergines in half lengthwise, remove with a spoon the soft medium of each part, keeping it for later.
- Grease the inside of the aubergines with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place them on baking paper and place in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Cut the green onion and saute until soft. Add the chopped mushrooms, garlic, parsley and oregano. Cook until the liquid from the mushrooms is reduced.
- The next step is to add the finely chopped tomatoes and the carved, fleshy part of the aubergines. Stir well, lower the temperature if necessary, and leave for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the mozzarella and basil, stir.
- When the aubergines are ready, take them out and distribute the mixture in the carved part of each. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Bake for another 20 minutes.
- Serve your portions of keto stuffed eggplant, sprinkled with chili pepper and fresh basil leaves.
If you want to reduce carbohydrates in portions:
- Do not add the grated meat. Use it for another dish or for a snack – such as eggplant pate or Baba Ganush.
- You can add minced beef or chicken. Just remove one tomato from the recipe to keep the ratio of ingredients.
For the carbohydrates in eggplant
Eggplants are the perfect “dish” for keto dishes, as their aroma and taste do not prevail over other ingredients.
But this vegetable still has carbohydrates.
The serving size of the recipe we shared with you is ½ eggplant, but that’s still 12 net grams of carbs.
To reduce the amount of carbohydrates, remove the fleshy part of the inside of the eggplant, leaving only about 1 cm of it around the inside. This reduces the total net carbohydrate to 7, which is acceptable for a keto diet.
If 7 net carbs are still too high for your carb limits, you can remove another 1.5g of carbs by peeling the eggplant first.
Also add minced meat of your choice or chicken, removing one tomato from the required products. That’s another 2 g less carbs.