In the heyday of spring we continue to take advantage of the green seasonal goods and prepare keto quiche with spinach. We added bacon for juiciness and nettle for a rich taste.
See what you will need to prepare it.
Recipe for spring keto quiche with spinach and bacon
The recipe is for 6 servings, each of which contains about 6 g of carbohydrates.
- 150 g of bacon
- 500 g spinach, fresh
- 200 g of nettle
- 6 eggs
- 2 bunches of green onions
- 170 ml cooking cream
- 220 g cheddar (or other cheese, optional)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Ghee oil for frying and sautéing
- Fry the bacon in the butter until crispy. Set aside.
- Put the spinach in the same pan and saute it, together with the garlic powder, until the separated water boils.
- Boil water and scald the nettle for about 5 minutes, then drain it through ice-cold water and clean it from the stems, if you have not done so before.
- Grease a heat-resistant glass pan (or other container of your choice) measuring about 22×24 cm with a little ghee. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Cut in a large bowl the spinach, nettles, green onions, bacon. Grate the cheese, add the beaten eggs, stirring well.
- Pour the cream and add the spices. Stir again.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl and level the surface.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
Serve your keto quiche with spinach hot.
Read more about the beneficial properties of nettle and spinach on our website, where you will find more suggestions:
- for nettle cream soup
- snack with nettles and fresh garlic
- cream of spinach and kale soup
- keto pizza with artichoke and spinach
- calzone with spinach and cheese
- homemade basil and spinach pesto
- roasted white fish with spinach
Spinach, nettle, dock, chives and garlic, green onions and leeks are extremely affordable and with a rich nutritional profile plants with which we can prepare wonderful meals. From a snack, through a soup to a main course, even a dessert – spinach is often used to color and enrich the taste of muffins and cake trays.
In addition, they are extremely easy to process and do not require much time.
How does nutmeg contribute to the taste?
You have probably noticed that we often use this spice.
Nutmeg is the seed of several species of evergreen trees of the genus Myristica. To obtain the spice, the dried bark of the stone or the stone itself is used.
The taste of the spice is nutty, a little sweeter and more delicate. It has a strong and distinct aroma. We find it in most curry recipes, as well as in many cakes.
Steam distillation of ground nutmeg produces an essential oil that is colorless, preserving the flavors and aromas of the spice. Is used:
- as a natural sweetener in the oil chemical industry
- in the cosmetics industry – for example toothpastes
- in pharmaceuticals – in some cough syrups
Add it to meat, vegetables or a dessert recipe for a unique and exotic taste.
Where does the recipe for quiche come from?
Quiche is a French tart, whose loaf is filled with cheese, meat or seafood, vegetables.
The most popular option is quiche Lauren, the recipe for which you can find in our cookbook “Keto fantasies”. Its name comes from Lorraine – a region in France, which in 2016 joined the new Grand Est region (Grand Est, literally “Great East”). During the Middle Ages, the kingdom of Lorraine briefly existed, ruled by King Lothar II.
Often called casserole in our latitudes, quiche is easy to prepare and we can always add our favorite vegetables to make it rich in flavors. Our proposal for keto quiche with spinach is without dough, but you can prepare one using gluten-free flour.