Today we are in the kitchen again to prepare a traditional Bulgarian dish, namely moussaka, in a dish with low carbohydrate content – keto moussaka with eggplant in the Greek style.
Recipe for keto moussaka with eggplant
Baked aubergines with minced meat flavored with Mediterranean spices, topped with a generous layer of keto béchamel sauce. This makes keto Greek moussaka with eggplant such a delicious dish. It is also low in carbohydrates. Let’s find out what products we need and how to prepare it.
Necessary products for the preparation of keto Greek moussaka with eggplant:
- 400 g eggplant
- 1 tsp salt
For the meat:
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 450 g ground beef
- 1-2 tsp onion powder
- 100 g of tomato sauce without sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 120 ml of beef broth or water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- 1 bay leaf
For the keto béchamel sauce:
- 200 g cream cheese or mascarpone
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- A pinch of nutmeg
- A pinch of garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons parmesan, grated
How to prepare keto moussaka with eggplant:
Preparation of eggplants:
- Cut the aubergines into thin slices and add plenty of salt. Leave them for 10 minutes in a bowl, then rinse with water. Dry with a paper towel and place in a tray covered with baking paper.
- Bake the aubergines in a preheated 180 degree oven for 10-20 minutes or until slightly softened and browned.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and fry the minced meat until browned. Season the minced meat with onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper, and other spices.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste and water / broth and stir.
- Put the bay leaf and let the mixture cook until slightly thickened (do not cover with a lid), stirring occasionally.
Preparation of keto béchamel sauce:
- Mix the cream cheese or mascarpone with 1 egg, a pinch of salt, black pepper, garlic powder and nutmeg. Mix all ingredients to mix.
Assembling keto moussaka with eggplant:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- At the bottom of a deep pan arrange slices of eggplant, pour the meat sauce. Place another row of aubergines on top and pour over the keto bechamel sauce.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and bake in a preheated oven with a fan at 180 degrees for 15-30 minutes (depending on the oven) or until a golden brown crust forms on top.
- Serve keto moussaka with eggplant hot with lettuce if desired.
Nutritional value for 1 serving of keto moussaka with eggplant:
- Calories – 392 kcal
- Carbohydrates – 5.9 g
- Fiber – 2 g
- Net carbohydrates – 3.9 g
- Fat – 33 g
- Protein – 15 g
Tips for making delicious keto Greek moussaka with eggplant
- Before baking the aubergines, we must cut them into slices, add salt and leave in a bowl for about 10 minutes.
- After about 10 minutes of soaking in salt, we must wash the eggplant slices and dry them with a paper towel. Then we can start cooking them.
- Eggplants can be grilled or baked for 5-10 minutes, another option is to fry in a pan with fat. No matter which way we choose, the finished dish will turn out very tasty.
- Use ground beef, to prepare the moussaka.
Keto meat sauce and Béchamel sauce
- The moussaka sauce is very similar to the Bolognese sauce. We have to cook it until it is thick enough.
- Instead of Béchamel sauce, which is usually made with flour, we will prepare a quick “keto béchamel sauce” with low carbohydrate content. For this purpose we will use cream cheese or mascarpone, egg and spices.